Reasons to Practice Mindfulness
What if we cared for our mind 20 minutes everyday?
How Stress Affects Mental Health
- Stress can lead to intense headaches due to tension.
- Regular stress can weaken your immune system making you vulnerable to illness.
- Experiencing stress regularly can be emotionally taxing and can lead to depression.
- Stress hormones which increase blood flow can cause your heart to pound.
What is Mindfulness
“A mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment while calmly acknowledging and accepting their thoughts, feelings, and bodily sensations.”
“Don’t believe everything you think. Thoughts are just that – thoughts.” –Allan Lokos
Ways to Practice Mindfulness
- Take a mindful shower. Notice the sensations on your body and around you. Picture your stress washing away.
- Take a mindful walk. Be present and aware of the sights and sounds around you.
- Focus on your breathing. Think of your thoughts as passing clouds . . . let them go and return your focus.
- Running low on time or wanting guidance? You can try checking out meditation apps or guided meditation videos online.
Some Benefits of Practicing Mindfulness
- Reduces anxiety – mindfulness can reduce anxiety by 38% by improving the part of the brain that controls worrying.
- Improves concentration – mindfulness can improve your ability to focus and ignore distractions.
- Minimizes fatigue – regularly practicing mindfulness can improve sleep quality and minimize insomnia and fatigue.
- Increases resilience – practicing mindfulness everyday for 25 minutes can increase resilience to psychological stress.
Start with 5 minutes and work your way up to 20 minutes. Remember, practicing every day is more important than how long you practice.
- “Stress Effects,” The American Institute of Stress, accessed November 26, 2018, https://www.stress.org/stress-effects/.
- “76 Most Powerful Mindfulness Quotes: Your Daily Dose of Inspiration,” Positive Psychology Program, last modified June 18, 2017, https://positivepsychologyprogram.com/mindfulness-quotes/.
- “Mindfulness,” Auburn University College of Education, last modified May 11, 2018, http://www.education.auburn.edu/school-of-kinesiology/mindfulness/.
- Karen Young, “13 Different Ways to Practice Mindfulness – And the Difference it Can Make,” last modified December 17, 2016, https://www.heysigmund.com/different-ways-to-practice-mindfulness/