Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Cougar Health Services Medical Clinic


Do I need an insurance card to see a provider?

We strongly encourage you to always carry a copy of your insurance card. We require a copy of the front and back of your current medical insurance ID card in order to submit medical insurance claims on your behalf. We will accept faxed or emailed copies of insurance ID cards, or a picture of your insurance ID card on your phone.

HWS will never refuse services to a student without an insurance card or medical insurance coverage.

You can request an extra copy of your insurance card from your health insurance provider by calling or going to your insurance provider’s website.

Does WSU offer student insurance?

WSU offers insurance to international students and eligible graduate student assistants.

All students taking 7 or more credits pay a health fee to maintain the availability of basic health services and programs on campus. The health fee does not cover all services available at the medical clinic and is not an insurance plan.

What if I don’t have insurance or need help paying for care?

HWS is committed to providing healthcare services to all students in need of medical attention. We do not require payment at the time of service.

Low-cost insurance plans are available through the Washington Health Benefit Exchange, and HWS offers a Financial Assistance Program for eligible students.

If you have concerns about your ability to pay for charges, please contact our billing staff. We can provide assistance to WSU students with:

  • A certified navigator who can present health insurance options and answer enrollment questions for both the WSU insurance plans and the Washington Health Benefit Exchange
  • Understanding and navigating the medical system and insurance benefits
  • Exploring options and applying for financial assistance for routine and urgent medical care

For assistance with the Washington Health Benefit Exchange, you can also contact Washington Healthplanfinder Customer Support.

Will you bill my insurance company?

We bill most major insurance plans. Our office will file claims to your insurer as long as we have all of the required documents on file. Any portion of your bill not covered by insurance will be applied to your WSU student account. You will not receive a bill from HWS.

We recommend you check your student account frequently to view charges that may have been applied. For your privacy, all HWS charges will appear on your WSU account as “Student Health Center.”

We are contracted providers for:

  • Aetna
  • Amerigroup
  • Cigna
  • Community Health Plan
  • Coordinated Care
  • First Choice
  • Group Health
  • Molina
  • Premera Blue Cross (all Blue Cross Blue Shield plans)

Copayments for these plans are charged as indicated by your plan.

How do I make payments?

Any portion of your bill not covered by insurance will be applied to your WSU student account. You will not receive a bill from HWS.

You may make payments for any of our services by visiting our office (cash, check and major credit cards accepted) or by phone (using a credit card). If you need to pay for services using your Health Savings Card, please call us and we will process your payment.

A Financial Assistance Program is available for eligible students. Please contact our billing office if you have concerns about your ability to pay for charges.

Who is responsible for payment?

If you are 18 years of age or older, you are legally responsible for your charges. If you are under the age of 18, your parents or legal guardians are responsible for payment.

Although our staff is here to assist you with any billing and insurance related questions, you should be familiar with the specifics of your particular coverage, such as co-payments, deductibles and covered vs. non-covered services.

How do I contact the billing and insurance office?

The Billing & Insurance office is located in the Washington building.

Phone: 509-335-3575 (option 3)
Fax: 509-335-8214

Back to Top