Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Cougar Health Services Medical Clinic

Measles (Rubeola) Immunization Requirement

What is the measles immunization requirement?

WSU students (born after December 31, 1956) are required to provide documentation of 2 doses of MMR immunization or immunity to measles, in accordance with Centers for Disease Control guidelines.

When do I submit my proof of measles immunity?

Undergraduate students should bring their proof of immunity documents to their Alive! orientation. Students will have an opportunity to turn in their documents when they register for classes. Check the Alive! schedule to see when you’ll register, and make sure to bring your documentation to our table during that time.

Graduate students can submit their proof of measles immunity by email, mail or fax. Complete the measles immunization form and send it along with copies of your records according to the instructions on the form. The measles immunization form is also available in other languages.

What do I do if I have a measles registration hold?

Students who have not turned in proof of measles immunity will have a hold placed on their student account and won’t be able to register for classes.

If you have a measles registration hold, submit your proof of measles immunity as soon as possible. Complete the measles immunization form and send it along with copies of your records by email, mail or fax according to the instructions on the form.

We will remove the hold on your account once we receive and process your documents.

Adobe Acrobat reader is required to view the form. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader

What do I need to submit as proof of measles immunity?

Proof of measles immunity means documentation you have had one of the following:

  • Two doses of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine received after one year of age and at least one month apart, or
  • A blood test showing measles immunity, or
  • Diagnosed measles disease (healthcare provider’s signature required).

We accept any of the following documents as proof of measles immunity:

  • School Certificate of Immunization, or
  • Immunization records from your healthcare provider or public health department, or
  • Copy of your immunization card, or
  • Copy of your military immunization record.

Where can I find my proof of measles immunity?

If you haven’t been given the measles vaccine before, you can get the necessary immunizations from your private healthcare provider, public health department or our medical clinic.

If you received measles immunizations in the past but don’t have documentation, try contacting these sources to get a copy of your health record:

  • Your family doctor
  • Your high school
  • The public health department responsible for the area where you received the vaccine

If you aren’t able to find documentation of the vaccinations you received from any of these sources, you can get a blood test called a Rubeola titer to prove you are immune. You can get a Rubeola titer from your private healthcare provider, public health department or our medical clinic.

You can check available appointment times and schedule online using the Patient Portal, or by phone, 509-335-3575.

Are there exemptions to the requirement?

If you have medical, religious or personal reasons to be exempt from this requirement, please call us at 509-335-3575.
Back to Top

What should I do if I think I have measles?

Your doctor or clinic will let you know if you need to come in for visit. Measles is very contagious and you could give it to someone in a waiting room. It’s important to tell your doctor or clinic that you have symptoms of measles before you go. They will give you instructions for what to do so that you don’t spread measles.

WSU students with measles symptoms or concerns can call us 24 hours a day at 509-335-3575 to speak with a nurse.