Insurance for Professional and Graduate Health Sciences Students
This is a comprehensive health insurance plan that includes many different services to support your health and well-being. Upon request, you can purchase coverage for your spouse/partner and dependents.
Sections on this page:
Professional and graduate health sciences students enrolled in one or more credit hours in the following colleges are eligible for this plan:
- Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine
- College of Pharmacy
- College of Nursing (excludes undergraduate nursing)
- College of Veterinary Medicine
- Speech and Hearing Science
Enrollment and coverage
This year’s plan will be provided by UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR). The plan starts on August 16, 2018.
Enrollment for the fall semester begins in August, and enrollment for the spring semester begins in December. The enrollment/cancellation deadline is the 13th day of classes for the fall and spring semesters.
To purchase this plan, you must be enrolled in one or more credits. To enroll, go to my.wsu.edu and log in with your network ID and password. This is accessible from your Student Homepage (FLUID). Click on the Financial Account tile, then Account Services, then Enroll in Health Insurance. Please choose Yes or No under Your Selection. No will be populated by default, but you may change to Yes by clicking the lookup glass and selecting the Yes option. Regardless of your selection, please be sure to click Save or Save Optional Fees. Once you click Save or Save Optional Fees, you will automatically be enrolled.
Starting around September 1, you will be able to create an online account with UHCSR through their app or on their website. Brochures summarizing plan details and certificate of coverage are available online. You can also request printed copies for in-person pickup.
Find a United Healthcare Student Resources Provider
Go to https://www.uhcsr.com/ Type in Washington State University under your school’s name and then click on FIND PROVIDERS at the main menu. From there you can search for Medical and Behavioral providers in your area.
Your insurance benefits include access to many different services to support your health and wellbeing, including:
- HealthiestYou, a 24-hour telehealth service that connects you with a board-certified physician via phone or video chat for a consultation, diagnosis and treatment – a great option for WSU Pullman students to use on evenings, weekends or holidays when our medical clinic is closed!
- Student Assistance Program, a set of services including 24/7 counseling, assistance with legal and financial issues, and mediation services
- Global Emergency Services, a program providing you (as well as your spouse and/or dependent children if they are enrolled) with access to doctors, hospitals, pharmacies and certain other services when faced with a travel or medical emergency while traveling 100 miles or more from your permanent residence
- Better Help, a national virtual counseling service where you can get the help you want, the way you want it. This service provides access to psychologists, marriage and family therapists, clinical social workers, and licensed professional counselors. These licensed counselors will be available to you via ongoing text communications, live chat, phone, video, or groupinars.
Spouses, domestic partners, and children may be enrolled at your request. Dependents can only be enrolled in the medical insurance. They are not eligible for dental insurance.
Dependent enrollment must be completed every semester.
To enroll your dependents, please complete the Dependent Enrollment form. To add a spouse or domestic partner, please complete the Declaration of Marriage or Domestic Partnership. Declaration only needs to be filled out one time per year unless you’ve had changes.
The enrollment/cancellation deadline is the 13th day of classes for the fall and spring semesters and the 5th day of classes for the summer sessions. To cancel enrollment, complete the Dependent Cancellation form.
Printed copies of all documents are available upon request.
Prescription services for students outside Pullman
Do you have prescriptions that you take regularly? Our pharmacy in Pullman can fill and mail maintenance medications to students who have a WSU student insurance plan.
We’ll need 3-5 business days to fill and mail your prescription. Make sure to give us plenty of notice before you need a refill. We’ll bill your insurance to reduce the amount you pay at the time you fill the prescription.
Examples of maintenance medications include:
- Birth control
- Blood pressure medication
- Oral diabetic medications
There are some restrictions. If you have questions or would like to start receiving your prescription by mail, contact our pharmacy.
If you’ve paid out of pocket for a medical expense, you can request reimbursement. Submit a claim form along with proof of payment to UHCSR by mail or email. Instructions and addresses are included on the form. For questions about this process, call UHCSR at 800-767-0700.
Apple Health coverage
If you have Washington State Medicaid coverage through Apple Health, that plan may still pay part of your medical bills even if you have gained coverage under WSU’s student insurance plan.
If you have coverage under Medicaid, it is important to let the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) know that your primary insurance, WSU Graduate Student Health Insurance, is not processed electronically.
That way, they can set up appropriate claim processing that coordinates with your WSU coverage. Otherwise, your prescription benefits may not be processed in a timely manner.
For more information, visit the Washington Health Care Authority.
Students who begin their studies during the summer session can enroll in summer medical insurance until the fall semester begins. Forms and rates for Summer 2019 can be downloaded here or picked up in-person at Cougar Health Services.
1095-B forms for the 2018 tax year are available on your United Healthcare Student Resources account at www.uhcsr.com/MyAccount
Contact for questions
The billing and insurance office is located in the Washington building within the medical clinic entrance.
Phone: 509-335-3575 (option 3)