In no other year has a flu shot been more important. Influenza closely resembles COVID-19 with symptoms like fever and cough, so it’s hard to tell the difference. Without a flu immunization, you’re at risk of contracting both flu and COVID-19, perhaps simultaneously even. The healthcare system will be strained due to the similarities, so that’s why protecting yourself with a flu shot is vital to public health. It’s also important that you get your flu shot early in the season. After getting a flu vaccine, it takes about two weeks for your body to develop the antibodies that will protect you from influenza.
Want more info? Check out our blog post describing the dangers of flu during the COVID-19 pandemic, and responses to common vaccine criticisms.
Flu Shot Fridays will return in 2021. Students can still make an appointment for a flu shot, by calling Cougar Health Services at 509-335-3575.
*We are unable to give a flu vaccine to anyone under the age of 18 who is not a WSU student, or anyone who is pregnant.
- Prior to your arrival, check for COVID-19 symptoms like fever, cough, shortness of breath, or headache. If showing any symptoms, please do not attend the event. See the full CDC symptoms list here.
- If you know or think you’ve been in contact with someone who has COVID-19, please do not attend the event. See self-quarantine resources for assistance.
- Complete the required attestation via myWSU prior to your arrival. You must show proof that you completed the attestation before entering.
- Staff will check your temperature before you can gain access to the building. If your temperature reads 100.4⁰F or higher, you will be asked to return at a later time.
- Wear a mask.
- Stay six feet away from others.
- Cover coughs and sneezes.
- Bring you medical insurance information.
Flu shots are covered 100% by most insurance plans. You can enlist the help of our billing office at 509-335-3575 if you have questions about coverage or you’re currently without medical insurance.
Make sure to bring your insurance card! We will not take payment at the time of service for Flu Shot Fridays, but we will get your insurance information for billing.