While health insurance is not required, WSU highly recommends that all students carry it. Insurance helps you pay for your medical and mental health bills by covering some of the cost of clinic visits and procedures.
Health care can be expensive, so having insurance can help ensure that any medical bills that may come from an unexpected illness or accident don't derail your education plans.
Insurance Coverage Options
- We administer insurance for international students, eligible graduate student assistants, and graduate and professional students in health sciences.
- If you are under age 26, under the Affordable Care Act, you may stay on the insurance policy of an eligible parent, guardian, or other family member as a dependent until you turn 26. You can find more information on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website.
- Students who do not qualify as a dependent on another person’s insurance and who are not eligible for one of WSU’s plans can also purchase a plan through the Washington Health Benefit Exchange. If you meet certain financial criteria, you may be eligible for Apple Health (Washington Medicaid), which is accepted by CHS.
CHS will never refuse service to students who don’t have health insurance. If you don’t have insurance and need to be seen, let us know when you make your appointment.
What is a health insurance navigator?
We know insurance can be confusing, especially if you’ve never dealt with it before.
Our health insurance navigators are specialists who can walk you through the nuances of health insurance and help you better understand your plan's coverage. You can contact a navigator at email@example.com or by calling 509-335-3575.
Our navigators can help you:
- Explore options for health insurance coverage
- Enroll in WSU student insurance plans and the Washington Health Benefit Exchange
- Understand and navigate the medical system and insurance benefits
- Apply for financial assistance for routine and urgent medical care, even if you’re uninsured
For assistance with the Washington Health Benefit Exchange, you can also contact Washington Healthplanfinder Customer Support.