We’re pleased to offer health insurance to our professional and graduate health sciences students so you can focus on your studies, not your health care expenses. 

You can read more about our plan, eligibility, costs, and more below. If you have any questions, please contact us at student.insurance@wsu.edu or 509-335-3575. 

  • Eligiblity

    Professional and graduate health sciences students enrolled in one or more credit hours in the following colleges are eligible for this plan: 

  • Enrollment and Coverage

    This year’s plan will be provided by UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR). The plan starts on August 16, 2022.

    Starting around September 1, you will be able to create an online account with UHCSR through their app or on their website. Brochures summarizing plan details and a certificate of coverage are available online. You can also request printed copies for in-person pickup.

  • Additional Benefits

    Your insurance benefits include access to many different services to support your health and well-being, including: 

    • Healthiest You: A 24-hour telehealth service that connects you with a board-certified physician via phone or video chat for a consultation, diagnosis, and treatment—a great option for WSU Pullman students to use on evenings, weekends, or holidays when our medical clinic is closed! This service also provides national virtual counseling that lets you get the help you want, the way you want it. You can access psychologists, marriage and family therapists, clinical social workers, and licensed professional counselors via ongoing text communications, live chat, phone, video, or groupinars. 
    • Student Assistance Program: A set of services including 24/7 counseling, assistance with legal and financial issues, and mediation services.
    • Global Emergency Services: You (as well as your spouse and/or dependent children if they are enrolled) get access to doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, and certain other services when faced with a travel or medical emergency while traveling 100 miles or more from your permanent residence. Please see Section 23 on the Certificate of Coverage. 
  • Costs

    Please review the 2022-2023 GSA Rate Table for specific information on costs for students, spouses/partners, and dependents. Printed copies of this document are available upon request. 

    Premium rates are informational only. Most graduate students on the GSA plan do not pay this premium; the University pays the premium as a benefit to the student. 

    If you’re unsure who is responsible for paying the premium, check in with your home department or graduate coordinator, or contact us at student.insurance@wsu.edu or 509-335-3575. 

  • 2022-2023 Plan: How to Reduce Your Out-of-Pocket Costs

    Note: Definitions of bolded insurance terms below can be found on our Understanding Insurance page.

    The 2022-2023 plan is a preferred provider organization plan, or “PPO.”  It provides a higher level of coverage when covered medical expenses are received from healthcare providers who are part of the plan’s network of “preferred providers.” The provider network for this plan is "Choice. "

    The plan also provides coverage when covered medical expenses are obtained from health care providers who are not preferred providers, known as “out-of-network providers.” However, a lower level of coverage may be provided when care is received from out-of-network providers, and you may be responsible for paying a greater portion of the cost.  

    To receive the highest level of benefits from the plan, you should obtain covered services from preferred providers whenever possible. The easiest way to locate preferred providers is through the UnitedHealthcare website, which lets you easily search for providers by specialty and location. The availability of specific providers is subject to change without notice.  

    To find a UnitedHealthcare StudentResources Provider (UHCSR):  

    1. Go to the UHCSR website.  
    2. Type "Washington State University" under your school’s name.  
    3. Click FIND PROVIDERS on the main menu.  

    From there, you can search for medical and behavioral providers in your area. If you need more help, try these step-by-step instructions.

  • Out-of-Pocket Reimbursment

    If you’ve paid out of pocket for a medical expense, you can request reimbursement. Submit a claim form, along with proof of payment, to UHCSR by mail or email. Instructions and addresses are included on the form. For questions about this process, call UHCSR at 800-767-0700.

  • Dependent Enrollment

    Spouses, domestic partners, and children may be enrolled at your request. Dependents can only be enrolled in the medical insurance; they are not eligible for dental insurance. 

    Dependent enrollment must be completed every semester. 

    To add a spouse or domestic partner, please complete the Declaration of Marriage or Domestic Partnership. Declaration only needs to be filled out one time per year unless you’ve had changes. 

    Complete the below forms to enroll your dependents or cancel their coverage: 

    The enrollment/cancellation deadline is the 13th day of classes for the fall and spring semesters and the 5th day of classes for the summer sessions. 

    Printed copies of all documents are available upon request. 

  • Prescription Services for Students Outside Pullman

    Do you have prescriptions that you take regularly? Our pharmacy in Pullman can fill and mail maintenance medications to students who have a WSU student insurance plan (international or grad student). 

    We’ll need 3-5 business days to fill and mail your prescription, so make sure to give us plenty of notice before you need a refill. We’ll bill your insurance to reduce the amount you pay at the time you fill the prescription. 

    Examples of maintenance medications include: 

    • Birth control 
    • Antidepressants 
    • Blood pressure medication 
    • Oral diabetic medications 

    There are some restrictions. If you have questions or would like to start receiving your prescription by mail, contact our pharmacy at 509-335-5742. 

  • Apple Health Coverage

    If you have Washington State Medicaid coverage through Apple Health, that plan may still pay part of your medical bills even if you have gained coverage under WSU’s GSA plan. 

    If you have coverage under Medicaid, it is important to let the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) know that your primary insurance, WSU Graduate Student Health Insurance, is not processed electronically; that way, they can set up appropriate claim processing that coordinates with your WSU coverage. Otherwise, your prescription benefits may not be processed in a timely manner. 

    For more information, visit the Washington Health Care Authority. 

  • Summer Enrollment

    Graduate students who begin their studies during the summer session can enroll in summer medical insurance until the fall semester begins. You can see rates and dates for Summer 2023 on the enrollment form

  • 2021-2022 Plan Claims

    If you were enrolled in the 2021-2022 plan, you have up to one year to submit claims for medical services provided to you on or before August 2022. Your insurance administrator is UnitedHealthcare StudentResources.

  • 1095-B Tax Form

    1095-B forms for the 2022 tax year will be available at a later date on your UnitedHealthcare StudentResources account.