Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Cougar Health Services Student Insurance

Insurance for Graduate Students on an Assistantship

This plan is provided to eligible graduate student assistants as a benefit. Upon request, you can purchase coverage for your spouse/partner and dependents.

2021-2022 Plan – How to Decrease your Out of Pocket Costs

The 2021-2022 plan is a preferred provider organization or “PPO” plan.  It provides a higher level of coverage when Covered Medical Expenses are received from healthcare providers who are part of the plan’s network of “Preferred Providers.” The provider network for this plan is Choice.

The plan also provides coverage when Covered Medical Expenses are obtained from healthcare providers who are not Preferred Providers, known as “Out-of-Network Providers.” However, a lower level of coverage may be provided when care is received from Out-of-Network Providers and the Insured Person may be responsible for paying a greater portion of the cost.

To receive the highest level of benefits from the plan, the Insured Person should obtain covered services from Preferred Providers whenever possible. The easiest way to locate Preferred Providers is through the plan’s web site at The web site will allow the Insured to easily search for providers by specialty and location. The availability of specific providers is subject to change without notice.

Click here to find a Preferred Provider


The following students are eligible for the GSA plan:

  • Graduate student assistants who are enrolled for ten (10) or more credit hours and who have an assistantship stipend of at least 50% for an academic semester or more; full-time Graduate Research Fellows/Trainees who are paid a stipend of at least $800 per month and who are engaged in research similar to that of a research assistant.
  • Graduate students defending in the final semester of a degree program enrolled in 2-6 credits who were enrolled on the graduate insurance plan the previous semester. Please email us with your request to enroll by the 13th day of classes.
  • Graduate students enrolled at the University on internships as part of their course of study who were covered the previous semester (must be enrolled in at least 2 credits). Please email us with your request to enroll by the 13th day of classes.

The following students should contact our billing and insurance staff to determine insurance plan eligibility and associated costs:

  • Graduate students on summer assistantship who require coverage through the end of summer until the regular enrollment period.

Enrollment and coverage

This year’s plan will be provided by UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR). The plan starts on August 16, 2021.

Starting around September 1, you will be able to create an online account with UHCSR through their app or on their website. Brochures summarizing plan details and certificate of coverage are available online. You can also request printed copies for in-person pickup.

View the Delta Dental plan brochure and summary of coverage.

Find a United Healthcare Student Resources Provider

Go to the United Healthcare Student Resources website, type in “Washington State University” for school name, and then click on “FIND PROVIDERS” on the main menu. From there you can search for Medical and Behavioral providers in your area. If you need more help, try these step-by-step instructions.

Additional benefits

Your insurance benefits include access to many different services to support your health and wellbeing, including:

  • HealthiestYou, a 24-hour telehealth service that connects you with a board-certified physician via phone or video chat for a consultation, diagnosis and treatment – a great option for WSU Pullman students to use on evenings, weekends or holidays when our medical clinic is closed! This service also provides national virtual counseling where you can get the help you want, the way you want it. Access psychologists, marriage and family therapists, clinical social workers, and licensed professional counselors via ongoing text communications, live chat, phone, video, or groupinars.
  • Student Assistance Program, a set of services including 24/7 counseling, assistance with legal and financial issues, and mediation services
  • Global Emergency Services, a program providing you (as well as your spouse and/or dependent children if they are enrolled) with access to doctors, hospitals, pharmacies and certain other services when faced with a travel or medical emergency while traveling 100 miles or more from your permanent residence. Please see Section 23 on the Certificate of Coverage. 


Please review the 2021-2022 GSA Rate Table for specific information on costs for students, spouses/partners and dependents. Printed copies of this document are available upon request.

Please note that the premium rates are informational only. Most graduate students on the GSA plan do not pay this premium. The University pays the premium as a benefit to the student.

If you’re unsure who is responsible for paying the premium, check in with your home department or Graduate Coordinator, or contact us.

Dependent enrollment

Spouses, domestic partners, and children may be enrolled at your request. Dependents can only be enrolled in the medical insurance. They are not eligible for dental insurance.

Dependent enrollment must be completed every semester.

To add a spouse or domestic partner, please complete the Declaration of Marriage or Domestic Partnership. Declaration only needs to be filled out one time per year unless you’ve had changes.

Complete the below forms to enroll your dependents or cancel their coverage:

The enrollment/cancellation deadline is the 13th day of classes for the fall and spring semesters and the 5th day of classes for the summer sessions.

Printed copies of all documents are available upon request.

Prescription services for students outside Pullman

Do you have prescriptions that you take regularly? Our pharmacy in Pullman can fill and mail maintenance medications to students who have a WSU student insurance plan (iSHIP or GSA).

We’ll need 3-5 business days to fill and mail your prescription. Make sure to give us plenty of notice before you need a refill. We’ll bill your insurance to reduce the amount you pay at the time you fill the prescription.

Examples of maintenance medications include:

  • Birth control
  • Antidepressants
  • Blood pressure medication
  • Oral diabetic medications

There are some restrictions. If you have questions or would like to start receiving your prescription by mail, contact our pharmacy.

Out-of-pocket reimbursement

If you’ve paid out of pocket for a medical expense, you can request reimbursement. Submit a claim form along with proof of payment to UHCSR by mail or email. Instructions and addresses are included on the form. For questions about this process, call UHCSR at 800-767-0700.

Apple Health coverage

If you have Washington State Medicaid coverage through Apple Health, that plan may still pay part of your medical bills even if you have gained coverage under WSU’s GSA plan.

If you have coverage under Medicaid, it is important to let the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) know that your primary insurance, WSU Graduate Student Health Insurance, is not processed electronically.

That way, they can set up appropriate claim processing that coordinates with your WSU coverage. Otherwise, your prescription benefits may not be processed in a timely manner.
For more information, visit the Washington Health Care Authority.

Summer enrollment

Graduate students who begin their studies during the summer session can enroll in summer medical insurance until the fall semester begins. Forms and rates for Summer 2022.

2020-2021 plan

If you were enrolled in the 2020-2021 plan, you have up to one year to submit claims for medical services provided to you on or before August 15, 2021. Your insurance administrator is UnitedHealthcare StudentResources.

1095-B form

1095-B forms for the 2021 tax year will be available at a later date on your United Healthcare Student Resources account at

Contact for questions

The billing and insurance office is located in the Washington building within the medical clinic entrance.

Phone: 509-335-3575 (option 3)
Fax: 509-335-8214

Back to Top